SEATTLE -- With injuries piling up in the outfield, the Red Sox have called for reinforcements. Jackie Bradley Jr., the team's No. 2 prospect according to MLB.com, was recalled to play center field while Jacoby Ellsbury recovers from a left wrist injury, joining the team in time to start Tuesday night against Seattle.
On Monday, Daniel Nava manned center and appeared to struggle with some fly balls hit over his head. With Bradley's arrival, Nava was able to move back to his more natural left field position.
Shane Victorino started in right field on Tuesday, still recovering from a sore left hamstring that sidelined him for two games.
"If either one of the two were operating at 100 percent, we probably wouldn't have made the move," manager John Farrell said. "But the fact is they're not, and we need that guy."
To make room for Bradley, reliever Jose De La Torre was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket.
Bradley struggled during his first Major League stint. In 19 games over April, May and June, the 23-year old hit .154 with one home run. He has been stellar, however, in the International League with a slash line of .297/.393/.530 in 45 games.
"I'm feeling really well," Bradley said. "[I'm] seeing pitches that I can handle and putting good swings on them and just being consistent with my swing. The timing is there and everything has been going pretty good."
Farrell: Aceves wasn't removed because of injury
SEATTLE -- Before Tuesday night's 11-8 win over the Mariners, manager John Farrell mentioned that the Red Sox would count on Alfredo Aceves to get them through long-relief situations, saying that with him and callup Brandon Workman, the organization was "one pitcher short from a traditional 12, but we feel like we've got plenty to get through."
But when starter Allen Webster got shelled for seven runs in the first 2 1/3 innings, Aceves lasted only two-thirds of an inning, finishing out the third but wincing noticeably as he left the mound.
Farrell denied that Aceves' discomfort was a sign of injury.
"Where we were in the lineup, it felt like we needed to show a left-hander to slow them down," said Farrell. "There was a feeling of tightness on his left side, but … he wanted to continue. But I was just trying to slow the left-handers down."
If Aceves is able to finish the road trip, it would be a big boon for the Red Sox. Boston's bullpen depth has been tested in consecutive games against Seattle, as starters Jon Lester and Webster have lasted five and 2 1/3 innings, respectively.
With four-hit night, Papi ties all-time DH record
SEATTLE -- On a night where David Ortiz hit two doubles and a home run, a lone single in the eighth inning seemed fairly innocuous. But with his son D'Angelo watching from the stands, that single gave Ortiz 1,688 career hits, tying Harold Baines for the most by a designated hitter.
"Just an outstanding career. He continues to get better with age," manager John Farrell said. "Despite the 15 games missed, you look at the total numbers amassed so far, it's a lot of power, a lot of key spots for us. He might be setting the bar for the position itself."
Ortiz entered the series with Seattle needing six hits to tie the record. He wasted no time, achieving the feat in only eight plate appearances.
"I'm getting old, man," said the 37-year old Ortiz. "You've got to play for awhile to put numbers together. I don't really think about it right now, just trying to go through the motions and produce for this ballclub and win some ballgames."
Workman called up to help taxed bullpen
SEATTLE -- Brandon Workman got called up to the big leagues on Tuesday, albeit in a different role than he's accustomed to. The righty will bolster Boston's bullpen, despite not having been used as a reliever since his undergraduate days at the University of Texas.
The Red Sox received a couple of hits to their bullpen depth recently. Jose De La Torre, who threw 50 pitches over 1 2/3 frames in the club's 11-4 loss Monday, was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket on Tuesday to make room for callup Jackie Bradley Jr., while Alex Wilson was put on the 15-day disabled list as a result of an injury sustained in Monday's loss to Seattle.
"Last night in the second inning of work for Wilson, he felt a little bit of a grabbing or popping sensation in the right thumb and we've got to get him back to Boston to get re-examined," manager John Farrell said. "And this might require some down time for him and that's why he's going to go on the disabled list."
Workman, Boston's second-round pick in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, has excelled in Pawtucket as a starter and is the organization's No. 12 prospect according to MLB.com. The 24-year-old went 3-1 with a 2.80 ERA in six appearances, while striking out 34 batters in 35 1/3 innings.
The ability to pitch multiple innings was a key factor in the decision to call up Workman, said Farrell. The rookie will be counted upon to eat up innings to ease the pressure on Boston's depleted bullpen.
"We have multiple inning guys in both [Workman and Alfredo Aceves]," Farrell said. "Obviously Alfredo may be a little more durable just because he's been in the [starting] role back and forth a couple of times, but unfortunately, the tentative nature of the position player side of it has us one pitcher short from a traditional 12, but we feel like we've got plenty to get through."
Farrell added that it is not uncommon to give future starters some experience in the bullpen as a way of easing the transition to life in the Major Leagues.
Red Sox Foundation RBI teams playing in tournament
SEATTLE -- Forty Boston teens and coaches from the Red Sox Foundation's Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI) will fly to New York on Wednesday, courtesy of JetBlue, the official airline of the Boston Red Sox.
There they will compete in Major League Baseball's Northeast Regional RBI qualifying tournament, a four-day event where the teens will compete for the chance to participate in the World Series championship tournaments in Minnesota along with the winners from eight other regions.
The Boston contingent includes a girls softball team with players aged 13-18, and a boys junior baseball team with players aged 13-15.
The foundation provides children and teens in the inner city a chance to play organized baseball, with an emphasis on promoting healthy choices and life skills. Uniforms for the organization's 29 teams are provided by Wise Snacks and Poland Spring.
Jacob Thorpe is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.