07/04/11 3:15 PM ET
Murders force Quintero to switch hotels
By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com
The RedHawks had just wrapped up a series against Memphis on Sunday and were taking a bus back home to Oklahoma City, but Quintero was going to spend an extra night and fly back to join the team on Monday morning.
"After the game, I came back to the hotel and went across the street -- and they said two people died and three were shot, and they didn't let me in my room," Quintero told MLB.com via telephone. "I found another room a couple of minutes from there, and when I went this morning [to the Doubletree] to pick up my luggage, my room was open and someone had gone through my luggage and my computer. They didn't take anything."
Quintero suspects it was police investigators who went through his belongings as part of the investigation.
As far as his rehab stint is concerned, Quintero has gone 2-for-6 in two of his eight scheduled rehab-stint games.
"I feel like I'm almost ready to go," said Quintero, who's been on the disabled list since May 28 with a high ankle sprain.
Carpenter returns to Pittsburgh area
PITTSBURGH -- Astros relief pitcher David Carpenter had dozens of friends and family members in attendance for Monday's game against the Pirates in Pittsburgh. Carpenter grew up in nearby, Fairmont, W.Va., and played baseball at West Virginia University.
Carpenter made numerous trips to Three Rivers Stadium and PNC Park as a kid to watch the Pirates, and he grew up idolizing former Pirates such as Andy Van Slyke and Jason Kendall, who was the club's catcher. Carpenter was a catcher before making the move to the mound in 2008.
"Just coming back to play in the place I kind of call home and [where I] watched a lot of Pirates games, it's nice to be able to play here," said Carpenter, who left tickets for 20 members of his family and said at least 20 friends were coming.
Carpenter, 25, had appeared in three games entering Monday, and hadn't allowed a run. He had thrown 19 consecutive scoreless innings at Triple-A Oklahoma City before being called up last week.
"It's been everything I've dreamed of," he said. "It's definitely something I'll carry with me for the rest of my life, getting to have that opportunity to fulfill a dream I've had since I was a little kid playing Little League back in Fairmont. It's everything I could ask for."
Downs gets consecutive starts
PITTSBURGH -- For only the third time this season, infielder Matt Downs started consecutive games, when he was in the lineup on Monday against the Pirates. Downs started at second base in Sunday's loss to the Red Sox in Houston, and started at third base in the series opener in Pittsburgh.
Considering he went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts against the Red Sox, Downs said getting a chance to get right back in the lineup is beneficial.
"I had a pretty tough day facing [Josh] Beckett, so maybe today I can turn it around with [Paul] Maholm on the mound," said Downs, who has started nine games at third, five at second, one at shortstop and one at first base.
He entered Monday hitting .200 (10-for-50) as a starter, but is batting .368 as a pinch-hitter with a .556 on-base percentage, which makes him valuable off the bench. Still, manager Brad Mills has said he'd like to find ways to get Downs more starts.
"He's shown he can swing the bat, and has been extremely successful," Mills said. "We need to get him in there. There are things he would like to show us, I'm sure, and we're looking forward to getting a chance to see him."
Brian McTaggart is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.