6/20/2014 11:57 P.M. ET
Astros to call Buchanan for spot start vs. Rays
Rookie's MLB debut to come on road in place of Peacock
By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com
ST. PETERSBURG -- With scheduled starter Brad Peacock not quite 100 percent following his battle with food poisoning in recent days, the Astros scratched him from Saturday's game and announced that right-hander Jake Buchanan would be called from Triple-A Oklahoma City and start against the Rays for his Major League debut.
Buchanan, 24, is 6-4 with a 3.54 ERA in 14 games (13 starts) for the RedHawks, including a shutout on May 20. He most recently pitched Sunday against Las Vegas and gave up five runs in seven innings. Astros manager Bo Porter said Buchanan would make only one start before being sent back down.
"He's been throwing the ball well down there," Porter said. "He had a great season last year. It's one of those things we feel this is going to be one start, and we want to give this guy an opportunity to see what it is he's able to do here at the Major League level, and that's why Jake's been called up."
Porter said Peacock would remain with the team and would be available as early as Sunday before re-entering the rotation next week. He was hospitalized early Monday with food poisoning and was away from the team for a few days while the Astros were in Washington. To make room for Buchanan on the Astros' 40-man roster, the club will transfer right-hander Jose Cisnero to the 60-day DL.
Peacock threw in the bullpen prior to Friday's game and said it went well.
"He's actually fine, but as we think about it, we just want to give him a few extra days," Porter said. "With the off-day coming on Monday, it actually affords us to give him a few more extra days."
Jarred Cosart was called up last July 12 to make his Major League debut against the Rays at Tropicana Field and threw eight scoreless innings before being sent back down after the game. Porter smiled when reminded of that.
"Let's hope we get the same performance," he said.