8/26/2014 9:18 P.M. ET
Astros to induct Trevino into Media Wall of Honor
By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com
HOUSTON -- Astros Spanish broadcaster Alex Trevino will be inducted into the Houston Baseball Media Wall of Honor on Sept. 18, the club announced Monday.
Trevino, who played three of his 13 Major Leagues seasons with the Astros, is in his 19th season as an Astros Spanish radio broadcaster. He joined the booth in 1996 and has called more than 3,000 Astros games, including six postseason appearances and the 2005 World Series run. His 19 seasons in the booth are the second most in franchise history by a Spanish broadcaster.
"Everything started with me just giving it a try," Trevino said. "When I played for the Astros, Jamie Hildreth was the director of broadcasting, and he told me, 'Listen, when you're done playing baseball, if you want to give broadcasting a try, give me a call.' So when I finished in the big leagues, I went to Mexico and played in a little bit in Monterrey, my hometown."
Trevino had some offers to be a Minor League coach or instructor, but he decided he wanted to stay in Houston and took Hildreth up on his offer.
"You play Little League and your dream is to play in the big leagues, but my dream was not to be a broadcaster," he said. "It's one of those things you never know in life."
The Astros induct a former or current member of the Houston media in the Houston Baseball Media Wall of Honor each season for significant and lasting contributions to the landscape of Houston baseball through their work in journalism or broadcasting. Trevino was elected by his peers.
Prior to joining the broadcast staff, Trevino spent 13 seasons in the Majors, primarily as a catcher, including the 1988-90 seasons with the Astros. He also spent time with the Mets, Reds, Braves, Giants and Dodgers in his Major League career. Trevino finished his playing career in the Mexican League, playing three seasons (1993-95) in Monterrey, Mexico.
"Alex has done a fantastic job of reaching our Spanish-speaking fans for nearly two decades," Astros president of business operations Reid Ryan said. "He's a true professional and a man that has an unmatched love for the game of baseball. We're lucky to have Alex as a part of our organization."
Trevino was a member of the 1972 Pony League World Series championship team, which hailed from Monterrey. He later would become one of seven Mexican-born players to play for the Astros, and was inducted into the Hispanic Heritage Baseball Museum Hall of Fame in 2003.
Porter mum about Astros' in-game meeting
HOUSTON -- Astros manager Bo Porter wouldn't elaborate Monday when asked about the impromptu team meeting held in the tunnel between the visiting dugout and the clubhouse after the second inning of Sunday's game against the Indians at Progressive Field.
Television cameras captured the entire team and coaching staff disappearing for less than a minute and into the tunnel prior to the third inning when the game was tied 0-0.
"We'll leave it in the tunnel," said Porter, who admittedly isn't big on team meetings.
Those who were in the meeting said Porter simply reminded his club it had a chance to win the series against the Indians. The Astros proceeded to lose, 3-1, to the Indians, dropping the final two games of the series. They still went 5-5 on their 10-game road trip that ended in Cleveland.
Report: Qualls claimed, Feldman clears waivers
HOUSTON -- Astros closer Chad Qualls has been claimed on revocable waivers by the Tigers, Peter Gammons of MLB Network first reported Tuesday morning. The Astros have until Wednesday to work out a possible trade with them, though it's more likely the Astros pull him back off waivers, which means he can't be traded this season.
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal first reported Monday evening that Qualls had been claimed on revocable waivers.
The Astros could have traded Qualls prior to the non-waiver Trade Deadline but weren't in a hurry to move their most effective reliever, especially considering he's under contract for next season. Qualls wants to end his career in Houston.
"I don't know what all that entails," he said. "I've been traded a bunch of times in my career and it's no different. I chose Houston because it's close to home and I want to help this team win and I feel like I've been doing the best I can this year.
"Like I said all year, I'd like to stay here this year and obviously beyond that and finish my career as an Astro. It's not in my hands, though, so I don't really put too much thought into it."
FOX also reported Monday that Astros starter Scott Feldman cleared waivers, which means he could be traded to any club. He's in the first year of a three-year, $30 million deal that will play him $12 million this year, $10 million next year and $8 million in 2016.
Feldman, who's served a key role as the veteran to a young pitching staff this year, struck out five and allowed three runs in seven innings in Monday's 8-2 loss to the A's. Nine of his past 12 outings have been quality starts.
"I did see that, but when I'm pitching I don't really think about it," Feldman said. "Human nature, you wonder what's going to happen. When I'm playing, I'm just thinking about the guy that I'm facing. We'll see what happens."
Astros renew deal with Class A Quad Cities
HOUSTON -- Astros president of business operations Reid Ryan flew to Iowa on Tuesday morning to sign a player development contract to keep the team's Class A affiliate at Quad Cities for two more years.
Ryan made the announcement at a news conference in Davenport, Iowa.
"Our guys are very happy with the relationship that we have throughout our system, and our goal is to continue to build the relationships at Quad Cities and hopefully [short-season] Tri-City and [Class A] Lancaster, and we think we have three of the best spots in all of baseball with good operations," Ryan said on Monday. "We want to look to continue those relationships."
Neither Ryan nor general manager Jeff Luhnow would comment on a report the club's Triple-A affiliate in Oklahoma City would switch affiliates to the Dodgers. A group affiliated with the Dodgers is reportedly on the brink of purchasing team.
That would leave the Astros on the search for a new Triple-A affiliate for 2015. They would, of course, like to return to Triple-A Round Rock, which is owned by Ryan Sanders Baseball, but the Express recently renewed its PDC to remain the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers through 2018.
The Astros could be forced to move their Triple-A operation to Albuquerque, N.M. -- replacing the Dodgers -- though there could be other openings revealed in the next few weeks. They have expressed in interest in building a new facility in Montgomery County and relocating a team north of Houston, but that could be years away.
"We've been happy with our affiliate in Oklahoma City," Luhnow said. "If it's not to be, we'll figure out what makes sense for us."
Luhnow said the Astros are in discussions with Lancaster and Tri-City about renewing the PDC with those clubs, which expire after this year. The Astros own Double-A Corpus Christi, Rookie League Greeneville and the Gulf Coast League Astros, so no PDC is needed.
Astros consider options for September callups
HOUSTON -- The Astros can expand their active roster beyond 25 beginning next Monday, and general manager Jeff Luhnow said the club has "some guys in mind" that will be added.
Some of the players who were with the club earlier this year, such as shortstop Jonathan Villar, outfielders L.J. Hoes and Domingo Santana (No. 3 prospect) and pitchers Paul Clemens, Anthony Bass and Rudy Owens, figure to be among those getting called up. They'll likely add a third catcher, perhaps Max Stassi, the Astros' No. 19-ranked prospect.
"We haven't made any final determination," Luhnow said.
Triple-A Oklahoma City has gotten itself back in the playoff hunt and entered play Monday in second place in the Pacific Coast League American North division with a 71-66 record, just one game behind first-place Omaha, so that could impact the timing of any callups.
Injuries will also weigh heavily into the decision of which players to call up. Astros outfielder George Springer and Alex Presley and pitcher Darin Downs could be activated early in September, so the number of bodies will begin to add up quickly.
Luhnow was asked if right-handers Asher Wojciechowski and Alex White, both of whom are coming back from injuries, could join the club.
Wojciechowski missed the first half of the season after straining his lat in Spring Training, and White had Tommy John surgery in April 2013. Over his last six games, Wojciechowski has posted a 3.38 ERA and is holding opponents to a .227 average, with 28 strikeouts and eight walks. He's gone at least six innings in four consecutive starts.
In his last four starts, White has struck out 27 batters and allowed only 19 hits in 25 2/3 innings. He's 3-5 with a 5.90 ERA in 23 games (eight starts) overall.
"Both White and Wojo have been pitching well as of late, and that's a good sign," Luhnow said. "Whether or not we want them to get more innings in September or sometime this winter, we're still working through that. We certainly want both of them to come to Spring Training next year competing for spots in the rotation, rested and healthy."
• Astros pitcher Brad Peacock, who left Friday's start in Cleveland after five innings with right forearm discomfort, threw off flat ground Monday pain-free and said he expected to make his next start, scheduled for Wednesday against the A's.